Welcome to my blog!

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and visit! We hope to share with you our journey of raising a child with Achondroplasia, the most common type of dwarfism. If this is your first time here, please start by reading Caitlyn's Story. It will share the beginning of her life with you. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Recipe Time – Mongolian Beef

This dinner is one of the favorites in our house – it’s DELICIOUS!!  I thought I’d share…

1 lb flank steak or last night I used bottom round roast which was presliced

1/4 c cornstarch

2 tsp vegetable oil

1 TBS minced garlic

1 TBS grated ginger (I buy about a 3 inch piece of ginger and use that, never measure out the 1 TBS)

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 TBS rice wine (I’m not going to buy rice wine, which I guess is basically saki, so I just use whatever white wine I have on hand)

3 green onions sliced

other vegetables you’d like – I usually use carrots, red bell peppers and asparagus

oil for frying meat

Step 1 – to make the sauce – in a saucepan heat 2 tsp of the oil.  Add garlic and ginger, stir fry for about a minute.  Add soy sauce, wine and water.  Add brown sugar and dissolve into sauce.  Bring the sauce to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat. Before I use add it later on, I strain it first – helps remove the strings on ginger.  I do add some of what is caught in the strainer back into the sauce. 

Step 2 – Slice the steak into 1/4inch slices.  Toss the steak with the cornstarch and let sit for 10 minutes – this i very important – DO NOT SKIP!!

Step 3 – Heat about a cup of oil in a wok to medium heat.  Add the beef slices and cook for about 3 minutes (or use a deep fryer). I don’t cook all the beef at the same time otherwise it won’t crisp up.  I cook about 10 pieces at a time.  Either use a splash guard for the splattering oil or stand back and WATCH OUT!!  It hurts and can be a long process of cooking the beef.  Cook beef until crispy and browned.

Step 4 – Remove the meat from the wok and drain on a paper towel.  Drain all of the oil from the wok except for about a TBS.  Add vegetables and stir fry for a few minutes; add the green onions and cook for another minute or so.  Add the steak back in and pour in the sauce.  Cook while stirring until it reaches a boil.  I usually add a little more cornstarch mixed with water in to help it thicken.

Serve over rice

014 

Let me know what you think. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment