Welcome to my blog!

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and visit! We hope to share with you our journey of raising a child with Achondroplasia, the most common type of dwarfism. If this is your first time here, please start by reading Caitlyn's Story. It will share the beginning of her life with you. Enjoy!

Friday, June 11, 2010

The House That Built Me

Today is a bittersweet day for me.  The house that I grew up in, can no longer be called “my home”.  My parents decided last year that they were ready to sell their home in Emerald Hills/Redwood City – the town was a part of Redwood City up until a handful of years ago.   They originally built the house in 1975, the year before I was born.  It’s the only house that I lived in until I was 17 and moved out to attend college.  Not many people can say that they lived their entire childhood in one house.  There are so many incredible memories from that house – slumber parties, pool parties, exchange students coming through ( a total of 8 or so), making mud pies with preschool friends, and the so many other get-togethers throughout my childhood. 

I am terribly saddened that I will never return to this house, but now the up-side to selling the house.  My parents have bought a home in El Dorado Hills, which is only about 40 minutes from us.  This 40 minute drive will be SO much better than the 2+ hour drive it would take to get to Emerald Hills.  I look forward to being able to see them more, well, at least much easier than before.  I could never make a day trip down to Emerald Hills, just wouldn’t work with the girls, but now we’ll be able to meet for lunch, get together weekly (at least I hope), and have built in babysitters, who can take the girls for the entire night so Scott and I can go out! 

Miranda Lambert sings a beautiful song called “The House That Built Me” and it brings tears to my eyes during this transition. 

 

Sorry about the picture overload but I wanted to share some pictures of that house that built me.  I only have a few from when I was young as my parents have the photo albums of my childhood years.  But I have found pictures from trips down there with my girls. 

My 1st birthday – November 19, 1977

scan0024

June of 1978

scan0026

Welcoming my brother in 1980

scan0027

With one of my best friends, Michelle, who will also be my travel buddy to Nashville – yes, we’ve known each other for 33 years now. 

scan0028

Caitlyn’s first trip – June 2005

 6-05

Kisses from Nana

10-05

With Papa

11-05

Thanksgiving 2005

12-05

Hanging by the pool – May 2006

 5-06 1

Playing with Uncle Todd’s hats – May 2006

5-06 1 (2)

Riding on Nana’s carousel horse – July 2006

7-06

With Uncle Todd and Auntie Erin – who wasn’t officially her Auntie yet – September 2006

 Sept 19, 2006 084

Telling Nana and Papa “all about it” – September 2006

Sept 19, 2006 080

Blowing bubbles with Papa – September 2006

Sept 19, 2006 071

Christmas 2006

12-06

Helping Nana feed the birds and squirrels – March 2007

   3-07

Welcome!! – March 2007

3-07 (3) 3-07 (2)

Thanksgiving 2007 – yes we look like we’re celebrating Xmas but we wore red to take pictures for our Christmas card.

2007 (3)

2007 (2)

Helping Nana make cranberry sauce – November 2007

2007

Visiting the “ususally” park, as I used to call it growing up – we “usually” went there – May 2008

2008

Swimming in the spa – June 2008

2008 (2)

January 2009 – a get together with some good friends from high school

 1-09

Hanna’s first visit – July 2009 – with Nonni and Nonno

7-09

Following pictures are from February 2010

096 118 125 131 047 052 - Copy 054 - Copy 073 087

9-09 (2) 9-09 (3) 9-09 (4) 9-09 (5)

9-09

So long Emerald Hills/Redwood City, thanks for the wonderful memories!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime -
Although my parents still live in the house I grew up in and probably always will, I can relate to your feelings. Their house has shaped who I am in so many ways. I am grateful to have grown up in Emerald Hills and to have watched it evolve. I had the good fortune of running into your parents this past weekend and they seemed to be embracing the big change to their lives. I would be a mess! Best wishes to you and thanks for sharing with your blog.
Kari Hensel

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Jaime! Those pictures are wonderful. Here's to many more fantastic memories in your parents' new (closer!) home!

The Wymers said...

Awww, what a nice post. You have some great memories (and pictures) of the old house, and here's to many more wonderful meomories and pictures of the new one.

Unknown said...

I still can't get over how much Hanna looks like you in that first picture. Lots of wonderful memories you had at "the house that built you" but there will be many many more memories at "the new house".

Kim said...

What a beautiful post! It was weird when my parents moved to Virginia. I remember walking through the house when it was empty and it was so strange. I could never just walk into that house again. But what wonderful memories you will create in the new home! And that one picture of you looking into your brother's bassinet, it could be Caty! Wow so the girls look like you!

Greene Family said...

Beautiful post, and I love that song! Great photos! I had the same thought as Kim of the picture of you looking in the bassinet at your brother - could be Caty! You have so many wonderful memories and pictures from the old house, and you'll have so many more in the new house! Yay for your parents living so much closer now!
That is incredible to say that you lived in the same house from the time you were born until you moved away for college! We moved a lot when I was growing up, but my grandparents' house was always home, and I remember having these same feelings when they sold their house (where they raised 11 kids and some of us grandkids) - bittersweet.

Post a Comment